Catherine Stine's IDEA CITY

Welcome Visitors

Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer Writing Retreats!

It’s that time again for the writing retreat I attend. I look forward to it for months. And I’m willing to endure crawling highway traffic and power outages for it. We have coffee on the porch in the morning while we talk shop. Then we go to our “writing stations”, at various spots on the wraparound porch. We work pretty much through the afternoon, with a quick lunch break. And then, when we're hot, tired and our brains are on overload, we trek through the woods to the beach. We take turns cooking dinner, and play writing games at night. Not a bad life for a week.

I’ve attended an assortment of writing workshops, conferences and retreats over the years. There are ones where you mostly workshop, and spend lots of time reading other authors’ work and critiquing. This is great when you're jumping in for the first time, and really want feedback on your work. There are conferences, where you listen to seasoned writers talk about their novels and how to best negotiate the writing life. This type of event is perfect when what you want is a shot of inspiration and information. And there are many permutations of the above. Summer retreats are also a chance to spend time in a deluxe location—Lake Tahoe, Southampton, Big Sur, Mendocino—you get the drift.

There are so, so many to choose from! You’ll discover this when you Google retreats. And they occur throughout the year. If you’re considering one, find out who the presenting writers are, and whether they’re a good fit for what you’re working on. You may prefer a smallish one, or perhaps a huge one, like the LA SCBWI summer conference, where you can blend in and pick and choose which breakout groups to attend. It doesn’t hurt that there’s a spa and two swimming pools out there.

So, Happy, Happy July Fourth! Have you ever attended a writing retreat? How was it? If not, what kind of retreat or conference would you look for? How are you celebrating the holiday? Getting any writing done?

16 comments:

  1. My favorite writing retreat...I invite everyone to my house and let them run around and do the work...while I worry about the electricity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to LA this year, but I think your retreat sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank god for the handsome buff electrician who came over and rode the crane to find the corroded contact! Let no one ever say they are not superheroes.
    Electroman???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know how it works, now I will google it for sure. I have attended some library clubs in which u discuss ur work with others n vice versa, which was really fun. It was a great post and I really liked the idea of "retreats" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your retreat sounds great! I attend the Pocono Retreat and it's a combination of workshops, listening to seasoned writers and illustrators, and writing time. I love it.

    Happy 4th, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting! I've never attended one, but it sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a relaxing retreat! Enjoy yourself! And Happy 4th to you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 4th to you. Have a great retreat. Sounds like fun. I've never been to one but think it would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My latest was a combo retreat/workshop, but I would sign up for a weeklong retreat if I could! Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww! I would LOVE to go to a writing retreat sometime. I bet it would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Catherine! Oh it sounds wonderful! I've never done an actual retreat before, but the SCBWI regional in Orlando last weekend was my first workshop. It was great! I'd love to do a weekend retreat ... maybe some day!
    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got an award on my blog today.
    http://bethfred.com/2011/07/liebster-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, thanks, Beth! I will pass it on asap. Juts gotta get back from Cape Cod first!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every summer I think, "This year I'm going to get away and do nothing but write." Then every summer, summer captures me and holds me prisoner at home or at the beach or the lake. I write, but I don't do it on a retreat.

    You've made it even more appealing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, yes, Lee, I know the feeling. I was so busy writing that I only made it once to the beach! Luckily, I scheduled two more beach days at the Jersey shore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have only done a conference, no retreat. But one of my locals is not having one until November. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete