Catherine Stine's IDEA CITY

Welcome Visitors

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Photos from the Book Cons & links to some cool authors I met there

I just got back from Albacon, a small sci-fi con in Albany, and also RT Booklovers Con in Dallas. Both were a blast for different reasons. At the sci-fi con I got to be on four panels, which I loved. In Dallas I met and chatted with amazing authors, bloggers, readers and editors. I took photos of my fave authors and intriguing new ones. Wanna see?
Tammara Webber
(and that's me on the left)
Tammara's novel EASY was what got me into new adult lit. The story was so much deeper than I ever thought "romance" could possibly be.

Nice tatts, Molly!
Check out the tattoos on the fabulous Molly McAdams. She helped take romance out of the Fabio era and into the new millennium.

Shari Slade's The Opposite of Nothing was intense and wonderful reading, however short. I look forward to more from her and it was fun to chat with her.

What a thrill to meet Lydia Kang in person after being friends online. She writes great sci-fi for the YA crowd.
Lydia Kang
Hey, she's holding my novel!
And guess who was staying at my "overflow" hotel? The great legend that is Tamora Pierce! In case you've been living under a rock, she's written dozens and dozens of fantasy novels over the years.
Tere Michaels
Holy cow, I got to ride in the van to the main event and chat about houses, the perks of living upstate and other domestic fun. Who cared if we weren't at the main hotel.

I got to see Tere Michaels again. She wrote Who Knows the Storm, a fascinating dystopian novel with an M/M love element. Wasn't sure it would be my cuppa tea, but hey, love is love, and boy, can Tere write! Her future, very noir NYC had my hair standing up.
Tamora, me, her PA
I met Zoraida Cordova who writes YA fantasy and often about the ocean like I do. Check out her Vicious Deep series. And last but not least, a couple of my own reader fans!!!
Kathleen Baldwin was on a panel, and her novel School for Unusual Girls sounded so cool, I have to load it on my kindle asap. Here are my tips for attending book cons in a post for Untethered Realms.
Tempted to make this guy
my next cover model.
Thoughts?!
The organized chaos of the RT  Giant Book Fair
Kathleen Baldwin
Zoraida with yours truly
Shari Slade
Loyal reader and friend, Raynell

20 comments:

  1. Awesome you got to meet Lydia. That one conference does look like chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you made so many great connections. Tamora Pierce! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kai, that was a distinct thrill. I love her work.

      Delete
  3. Look at all those great pics! It all looks so exciting. Awesome that you got to meet and talk to Lydia and Tamora - wow!! Thanks so much for sharing everything. I don't get to go to cons, so I'm living vicariously through you. Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a blast. And yes, he should be your next cover model. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, yes, I'm thinking that too. He has the right look for the sexy geek. Just add a pair of cool glasses and voila!

      Delete
  5. Aww! That's so cool you got to meet such awesome authors. I love Holly's tattoos. That tree one in particular is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even more authors had cool tatts. I couldn't include them all but it was definitely a "thing".

      Delete
  6. Cons always look like so much fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, yes, they are! Now I can't wait for UtopYA!

      Delete
  7. Wow! I was stunned after I read your article Idea City. THANK YOU for including me. I greatly appreciate it. RT convention is always a memorable experience. Geez, I was sitting two seats from you while sitting in on one of the many panels RT provides for us.
    I have to agree he should be the next model for your next book cover. Thank you once again and have a wonderful weekend. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Raynell, it was so much fun getting to meet you! And yeah, I can't believe we were sitting two seats away in that first "almost meeting". Maybe I'll see you in Vegas 2016... and I'll "see" you online. :)

      Delete
  8. It looks like you had a blast! I'm so jealous of all the awesome people you got to meet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, by sharing the photos I'm trying to share the experience with everyone. 😊

      Delete
  9. Both events sound and look like such fun! I am so glad you went and shared some of the highlights with us. Love the pictures and you clearly got to meet all kinds of cool people! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DMS. I will share more soon from UtopYA.

      Delete
  10. What great photos! I'm glad you had fun and met so many great people. I've only attended a few cons but I've had such good experiences I am looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I look forward to meeting you in NYC at RWA in July!

      Delete
  11. Yes to the cover model! And yes to all those great people you got to hang with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic pictures! :) It looks like so much fun. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete