Catherine Stine's IDEA CITY

Welcome Visitors

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

K is for KOOKY!

You know you love it!
Kooky art, music, film, novels, so BAD they're awesome. 
Insane Clown Posse
Kooky Music:
Insane Clown Posse: metal rap band that wears clown faces and douses the audience with soda.
Tiny Tim: born Herbert Khaury in 1932 of a Lebanese dad and Jewish mom, Tiny Tim went on to create the most bizarre ukelele act evvveeer. Here he is on YouTube singing his trademark Tiptoe Through the Tulips. Kaury even joined the circus for a month!
Kooky Films: 
Leprechaun 3:  A very nasty little leprechaun in Vegas. check both Lep films here.
Leprechaun in the Hood: Close to Lep 3 in tasteless hilarity.
Tiny Tim, Super-Kook!
Gigli: Horrid movie, starring J Lo and Ben Affleck! Tagline: "A violent story about how a criminal lesbian, a hit-man with a heart of gold, and a retarded man came to be friends through a hostage." Really? HUH? Check it out here.
Killer Klowns from Outer Space: Tagline: "In space, no one can eat ice cream!"
The Loved One, a satire about the funeral biz, with Liberace as coffin salesman! A British poet goes to work in a Hollywood Cemetery. Here 'tis.
Kooky Books:
Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach--a seagull delivers lessons about life? I can't believe this book is still selling! Check out the huge amount of reviews it has. Here's a quote from it: "Why, Jon, why?" his mother asked. "Why is it so hard to be like the rest of the flock, Jon? Why can't you leave low flying to the pelicans, the albatross?" Can you say OY?
Damian Hirst's The Dream
Candy, by Terry Southern. A spoof on Voltaire's Candide, starring the sickly sweet Candy Christian, a googly girl out to find love, sex and some freaky mystics too. Still in print after a zillion years. William Styron says: "Wickedly funny to read and morally bracing as only a good satire can be." Definitely so bad it's great!
Kooky Art:
Damian Hirst: a contemporary British Artist who specializes in showing dead animals encased in formaldehyde. Here's his piece called "The Dream" using a real pony. His work is sad, offensive and amazing.
What do you think of all this KOOKINESS? Are you scratching your head yet? What do you think is the weirdest art, novel, music, or film?
(A to Z link here)

16 comments:

  1. Killer Klowns! I've actually watched that - it sounded so horrible that I couldn't help myself! I still remember the cotton candy traps. LOL.

    And I've actually met ICP before - they came into a 24 hr restaurant I was at in the middle of the night when I was in college and started talking to me and my girlfriends. I had no clue who they were, just thought they were freaks wearing makeup. They had just got done with a show and were on their way out of town on their bus, but stopped to get some munchies. Wow, that was 15 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, a book about a seagull giving life lessons sort of sounds like it could be brilliant. Haha!

    I feel like a may have seen Killer Klowns. Maybe. If it was ever on the SyFy channel some odd morning when I was younger. *wander off to investigate*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, god, you guys, you made me laugh my head off! Jaycee, your story about meeting the ICP made me remember years ago, meeting Leon Russell and his band in a bar where I worked. They were in town, on tour, and came in, really hungover. They kept running back to the bathroom-I suspect they were sick as dogs. Yeecccchhh. I had a better time when I met John McLaughlin and his band. He invited me backstage to hang out, after I showed him a drawing that I'd done, inspired by their music. Now that was some big fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Johnathan Livingston Seagull!

    ICP reminded me of this weird story, I've always been afraid of masked people. Costumer characters especially (like Mini Mouse or Big Bird, any of those).

    So when my mom had stand next to a guy in a space suit outside of a Nasa launch, I had this intense look of seven-year-old panic on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RA, love it! Keep em coming, all. I want your recommendations of horrid cultural nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I want to see Gigli -it sounds so awful you could make fun of it! And I too have JLSeagull and always wondered why is this a classic? Then again, The Little Prince isn't that far off for me either. The kind of kooky I love is Carol Burnett with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway. Watched it every day after school - I think it was a classic then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Killer Klowns are awesome.

    I remember my step brother and his friend once made me ride around in the dark mountains of Tennessee in a van forcing me to listen to ALL of ICP's music. I think I lost part of my soul that night.

    Weird music...listening to it now "Of Montreal" is the best nerd rock I've ever heard but some of their songs are off the wall (ok all of them really).

    Great post enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kooky is a great word for capturing how the limits of reality can be pushed to create surprise and delight. I think the Hitchhiker's Guide is kooky. Anything Gary Larson pens is far out kooky!

    Loved your K word, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the word. I can't think of any kooky books right now though. I'll have to think about this for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Catherine, I finally made it over here on the A to Z tour. Kooky is a great "K" word -- I'm very fond of kooky characters in novels, especially mysteries.

    Patricia Stoltey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Allison, forced to listen to ALL of ICP's music? That is the most tragic torture. C Lee, yes, the Hitchhkers' Guide is indeed, the finest literary kitsch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great kooky pastiche, CS!

    There's kooky and then there's...all that other stuff. Hitchiker's Guide is kooky...Tiny Tim was kooky...Damian Hirst is waa-aay too rich to be kooky. That puts him back in the asshole category. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hitchhiker's Guide is indeed very kooky. I loved the book and the movie. =^.^=

    I did read a little of your book, Fireseed One while at B&N. Just enough to sample and I enjoyed it. I plan on purchasing a copy as soon as I have some spare money to add it to my personal library.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kooky is fun. I haven't seen or read most of the movies/books you mention here but now I'm curious. Great post!

    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Candace. Yes, Helen, Damian Hirst is incredibly rich from all of his dead animals. It's actually pretty disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. okay, you nailed the Kooky here. Insane Clown Posse, Tiny Tim, and Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

    Btw, I live about 25 miles inland from the sea, yet we have seagulls hanging out at our local grocery store. Kooky, eh?

    ReplyDelete