Catherine Stine's IDEA CITY

Welcome Visitors

Sunday, April 15, 2012

N is for Narrative, and Alice Neel

The Family by Neel 1970
Today on A to Z it's N day. I'll talk about narrative, and about my favorite portrait painter, Alice Neel.
A narrative is a telling of story, whether in fiction or another creative form. In fiction, it's most often narrated by the main player, in either 1st person (I did this), or 3rd person (she or he did this). Sometimes a story is told in omniscient point of view, but this is not often the case in YA or children's fiction, with the exception of some fairytales. In fact, the YA "police" have a derogatory term for omniscient POV when it's done badly. They call it "head-hopping", which makes one think of head lice or some equally creepy-crawly critter.

Girl in Red by Neel 1967
The trend in YA narrative is to create a high-concept plot. What does this mean? Partly, it's about putting your protagonist in a postion where he or she must act on heroic levels or risk being destroyed. It's much more exciting to have the fate of the world on the heroine's shoulders than to have a story about her saving a cat from a tree (not that saving a cat is a worthless thing!). This trend has flamed into huge proportions because of books like The Hunger Games, and other dystopias where the world is in danger of extinction. I admit it, my YA thriller, Fireseed One has high stakes too. In the stampede, "quiet" books can get lost.

Books aren't the only things containing narrative. Paintings tell stories too! Look at these stunning modernist portraits by painter Alice Neel, and imagine the tales behind them. It's not hard to do, as she put so much raw emotion into them. They have a touch of Diane Arbus to them, but humanity wins out over the macabre in Neel's work. By the way, click here to see a new and amazing documentary about this artist created by her son, Andrew! Now isn't that the perfect homage from a son to his mother? Alice Neel was born near Philadelphia in 1900, and grew to be one of the most celebrated portrait artists of the twentieth century, despite her disregard for the limelight and disinterest in being part of a rarified clique.
Two Girls, Spanish Harlem 1959

What do you think about "loud" vs "quiet" narratives? Does a character always have to be a hero or heroine to make a story great? What piece of art that you know of, feels most engaging to you in terms of telling a story?

20 comments:

  1. A story needs to grab the attention of a reader. If the hero/heroine rescues a cat from a tree, the reader bond with them. After that, they can save the world.

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful paintings. I never heard of the artist. I think we could use more books about people doing ordinary things that are worthwhile. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month. My alphabet is at myqualityday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer more quiet narratives so I can think along the way. One of my favorite YA books is My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. I've read this numerous times into adulthood. The changes the boy goes thru, what he learns about nature and himself - I loved taking his journey. I also wished I could have been him!

    I find beauty more in photographs, than art. One tour at my local museum was haunting and beautiful. It was Ellis Island: Ghosts of Freedom by photographer Steven Wilkes. He captured amazing images of Ellis Island hospital complex before it was restored, in its falling-down beauty as seasons continued to pass over its emptiness. A suitcase left behind, a shoe overturned, ivy crawling in through blowing snow. Truly beautiful and leaves you with the images of that long ago era of immigrants in between freedom and captivity. Some never stepped on land to freedom but had to return home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i certainly don't think the mc need be the best or even the most interesting character----probably a baby's bust--a reproduction of an artist's son

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's so darn frustrating with blogger. Every time I attempt a response, half of them just disappear (or locked in word verification) and I forgot to copy my last thoughtful response so I can simply paste this 2nd time around...argh!

    anyway, I can't recall what I typed the first time. What it boiled down to is I LOVE these paintings. Thank you for sharing about Neel. I like them enough to possibly seek out a poster version (great for those on restrictive budget- add a nice frame- and it doesn't look badly.)

    Yes, I suppose this is where they coined the term "A picture says a thousand words."

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, it's interesting that you are all saying you want more "quiet" novels, and that they can sometimes be quite profound. I agree! Perhaps the high concept trend will phase out a bit at some point to allow for more nuanced work to get read and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhsome, you are awesome! Hey, I thought I had turned off word verification. ACK! I will go check that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I have to tell you. When I type and hit "publish" it just deletes everything & it doesn't reflect the comment. On my 3rd attempt, I hit "preview" first and then publish- it then worked. You can see my comment...you might want to let blogger know this site is having difficulty with accepting comments from those outside of blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your word verification is "Off" I was just mentioning issues I have with Blogger. Your site is having difficulty letting comments/replies through the system. In fact, I just tried to hit "reply" to your response about checking word verification and the system won't let me. It doesn't do anything when I hit reply.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhsome, thanks for the info. And I appreciate your determination to post. I will see if I can send blogger a note.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you bring up great points. And i do agree--paintings (and even photographs) all have a story to tell.

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. While I enjoy a "loud" heroine, I also enjoy a quiet one at times, one who is battling her own issues at her own pace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admit I prefer a loud MC. I think the stories are more in your face and engaging with a loud MC. I like fast paced books. Having said that, I do enjoy a quiet read every once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think Beverly Cleary's characters go up against any dire dangers or demons, unless you count those everyday things we encounter while growing up. Her characters still ring true. I like both the quiet and the action-packed. Guess it good that we have such a wonderful selection to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable paintings. I tend to write quieter stories but am trying to add spice and action to them. To me, there's a need for both maybe in the same story. Is that possible?

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Catherine for introducing me to this painter. The paintings hit me just right, if you know what I mean, so much character. I'm going to check out the documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sure, Beverly, the best writers have both in their novels, don't you think? Rossandra, I'm glad you like Neel's work. I like turning people on to really cool artists.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I scrolled up and down your home page and saw a pic of Tiny Tim. Wow! What a blast from the past. Now what was the question again?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I prefer quieter books that are more about growth, change, and development instead of super-high stakes. Even if the stakes are higher, I still appreciate a slower-paced story so the final payoff or fireworks is that much sweeter and more appreciated. Third-person omniscient is what I've always come to naturally. Only once in a great while will I do something that's more along the lines of third-person limited.

    ReplyDelete